It seems like they're all around.
I spent two nights crying about the genocide, wars, rape, hunger and disease in parts of Africa...
Then I woke up in my huge, luxuriously furnished, warm, comfortable home and ate a massive breakfast (put my dishes in a machine, my laundry in a machine and my dinner in a crockpot) and played with my children.
This is in stark contrast to the nights I go to bed grumpy for whatever trifling reason...
And wake up to my cramped, hodge-podgely decorated, unfinished, old home where I have to clean the same things I did the day before and try to figure out what to feed my family while trying to find just one moment to have a thought to myself.
Obviously my perspective is skewed from day to day. The question is...
WHAT IS GOD'S PERSPECTIVE?
As Butch and I continue to pray and desire to hear God's voice, we know that we are being called to "live simply, so others can simply live." I can't take credit for this catchy phrase. It seems as if God has been speaking to a few others as well, and that is why I thought that anyone who reads this might be interested in this link... http://www.BareFootWorld.org
I must admit that our idea of simple may still seem quite extravagant to some, or a bit extreme to others, but this is not really about others, is it?! It is about our obedience to God!
11th Birthday Fun!
14 years ago
3 comments:
Terri,
George & I have always admired you and Butch's obedience to God's calling and that you always put people first and not "things". You have modeled a life that is rare in the United States and I know God will continue to speak into your hearts and opportunities and blessings will continue to following your path in life. Perspective is so hard to have here in the land of abdundance. I was speaking to George's Mom on my way to serve at GCC yesterday and she was complaining about how her basement was leaking water and that she found it so disgusting that she was going to move to her mother's place until it was fixed. I responded that she was a little over the top considering that some people Live in raw sewage everyday of their lives and that at least she had the funds to fix the problem which was just "water". She then began to laugh at what she had said, but I think we all lose perspective from time to time.
Less of me, more of you God.
So easy to say, so hard to do.
I vote we sell it all and live in a tent on the church property. :)
Bob and I have been at the same place as of late, mostly in reference to "not storing up treasures on earth" as we went through Matthew. Yesterday, the kids and I were looking for a show on TV and flipped from "Feed the Children" to "What you can get for $800,000" (houses). The contrast was so glaring ...
Post a Comment