Tuesday, February 5, 2008

More Isn't Always Better!

Even when it comes to excercise, more isn't always better! This is what happens to those of us who are extremist...
I start with a 20 minute workout (though I now realize that I probably shouldn't call 20 minutes a "workout;" it is really just "excercise"). It goes well, and I am amazingly consistent. Then, it dawns on me one day that 20 minutes is just the beginning of a real workout, and my goal should include a lot more muscle tone along with the cardio, and a minimum of 40 minutes would be better.
So...the natural turn of events is that I stopped "excercising" because who has the time for a daily 40-60 minute "workout"?
Well, today I came to my senses. I did my cardio for 20 minutes and left it at that! The "all or nothing" mentality does not pay off in this scenerio. I have learned my lesson (I hope)!
I am blogging this as a reminder to myself to do what I need to do; no more or no less. I am not trying to overspiritualize this experience, but I see a parallel in my relationship with God. I need to just do what He asks; no more or no less. If He asks for me to babysit one day, I don't have to start a daycare. If He asks for me to read a chapter, I don't have to do a research paper on the whole book. If He asks me to take care of my body, I don't have to train for a marathon. Obviously I should really get the point. However, this is getting recorded right now because after all these years I haven't gotten it!

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

So are you going to say something about this, or is that the whole point. More words aren't better than these four. If so I may have to disagree - without a context these four words may mean absolutely nothing. If that isn't the point, then this was way too many words about absolutely nothing.

Rita said...

I loved it and I can't stop laughing because it is sooo true!
Thanks for the laught, I needed it!

Alana said...

I left that comment cuz all I could see yesterday was the title.